Wednesday 12 February 2014

Life as a commuter

Every day life in Berlin has kicked in. I am now a commuter. Living in Copenhagen means that virtually everything is reachable by bike. And I am used to hopping on my bike and being at work after a 20 minute ride. So it takes some getting used to, this commuting. Every morning I take the tram, which takes me to a ubahn station in approx. 25 minutes, where I change. From here, I have a 15 minute journey to the station nearest to my work place. Combined with some walking and waiting, it takes me around 50 minutes to get to work. And of course also around 50 minutes to get home when the work day is over.

Berlin's transport system is very extensive and I'm grateful for that ;-) And just like any other large city there's no lack of commuters. It just feels strange to be one of them. I miss my bike, and I especially miss my morning bike ride. It helped me wake up and somehow prepared me for a long day at work.

However, there are also advantages of this commuting business. I have the opportunity to read to and from work, that's hard to do on a bike :-p I'm not affected by the weather as much and the wind conditions don't seem to interest me anymore.

Like anything else, commuting is just something you have to adjust to. And as I sit here on my way to work, I am sure that I will :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment